Thursday, September 29, 2005

Normal...in a "sick" way

Things have become "normal" around here again. Shelby woke up the day after getting her tooth pulled like nothing ever happened. When you ask her how her tooth came out she shrugs her shoulders, reaches in her mouth and grabs a tooth, and says "maybe I just wiggled and wiggled it and it came out?" She's not quite sure what happened and that's exactly why we wanted to give her the Versed. She doesn't remember any of that day and that's just fine by us. The tooth fairy brought her a whole dollar in exchange for her little infected tooth and she was as happy as can be. Friday we had a follow-up with Dr. Albers. Shelby made him a card, "signed" her name, and made him open it while she was still there. She kissed him on the leg, too. He's a great doctor and we told him how much we appreciate him going the extra mile with her care. He even called Wednesday night from his home to check on her. How great is that?! Shelby is now, per her transplant nurse, only to get .05 mg per kilo of Versed instead of the recommended .75 mg per kilo. We will definitely use Versed again, but just with much more caution.

Saturday I woke with a horribly sick feeling stomach and a sore throat from hell. I went to my job at the Y, but left after 30 minutes. I went home, fell asleep, tried to eat, slept again and then told Scott and I had to go to the doctor. Off to Physicians Immediate Care we went for me to be diagnosed with strep throat. Yuck! Then we had the fun task of finding an open pharmacy at 6:45 on a saturday night (I didn't know it was that hard). We went to McDonald's for supper as the girls were starving and getting cranky and I thought a chocolate shake was the perfect thing for my burning throat. WRONG. I couldn't even swallow that. I had ice water. Yum...so now I'm cranky and tired and hungry. I bought some Chloraseptic spray and that helped a bit, but I didn't start to feel better until Tuesday. My throat still hurts now, but is much, much better. Strep sucks!

Then...Riley threw up right when she got to school yesterday. She is running a low grade fever also and is home today from school. I think I've kept the girls separated enough that hopefully Shelby won't catch it, but we'll see. Scott and I did take advantage of his parents willingness to babysit a puking child and her wild sister and saw Judas Priest in concert last night. I think every Mommy who's had a rough day with a sick kid while she's still recovering from strep throat should get to go out, hang with the boys, drink beer, and head bang, don't you?

2 comments:

Moreena said...

Sorry to hear you've all been sick. Somehow we've managed to avoid Strep so far.

Judas Priest! How fun does that sound? Very!

Anonymous said...

Thinking about you all. It's no fun being sick! Hugs to you.