Saturday, November 20, 2010

Fever...tummy pain...yup, ER


10:21 p.m.
Did I really know deep in my gut this morning that something was up with Shelby? She and Avery stayed the night at my parent's house because Riley was having a slumber party. On the way to work this morning I called my Mom to see how their night went. She said Shelby woke up around 7 (her usual, no matter how late she stays up), but fell back asleep on the couch. I thought that was quite strange...anyway, my Mom said she woke up just fine and was acting normal. After work I went to pick them up and stayed a while watching videos of when Shelby was born. Around 4:30 we headed out and Shelby had started complaining shortly before then that she wasn't feeling well. Avery was wwaayyyyy over-tired and fell asleep within minutes of leaving. Shelby continued to feel worse at home and started to develop a fever around 6:30. I put a call into Dr. Deutsch (her GI - thank goodness he's on call this weekend) and he said wait to see if her temp hits 101 then head to the ER. Two hours later her temp was up to 100.8 and she was crying about her tummy pain. Time to head in, I decided. So, I called up my Saint of a Mother (who only and finally had a few hours kid-free) to have her come over to stay with Riley and Avery. Avery just woke up from a nap that was from 4:30-8 - NOT good. Sorry Mom! I was hoping she'd sleep through the night! Scott is here at the hospital working tonight. So, the ER doctor who first took care of her when she was only 5 months old, has been in to see her; urine has been collected; Emla cream is numbing up potential IV sites and we sit and wait in an all-too-familiar place. It doesn't even phase my crappy feeling kid that she is in the Emergency Room. She's sitting there playing her DS and eating ice chips. I wish I could act that good when I don't feel well. What a trooper! What a great attitude to make the best lemonade of the lemons that have been handed to her. Gotta love her. Most likely, this will lead to a minimum of a 48-hour admission on IV antibiotics while we wait on blood cultures, but....I'd love to be wrong. To be continued.....

12:35 a.m.
Being admitted. High bands and low lymphocytes (parts of the white blood cell count), chills, fever (which is gone now)...looks like an infection. She will be put on IV Zosyn until we hear on blood cultures. That could take as long as 48 hours. Prayers please.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It let me comment this time! Let Shelby know that I'm thinking about her and sending up special prayers for her. Prayers for all of you and hopefully some sleep!

Lisa said...

Praying for Shelby Always.. Love to you.

Fred and Carol said...

Give Shelby our love. You both need some rest.

Hugs and Kisses,
Auntie Lu and Uncle Freddie

Lori Martin said...

Shelby is amazing - what a trooper! What a crazy weekend for you, Jenn and Scott! So, no fever...will she be released today?

Praying for all of you!

Bruce & Lori