Thursday, February 26, 2009

Shelby, sick? And the update...

Update 2/27 10:45 p.m.: Labs are a bit better today. Her counts are moving in the right direction, with the exception of her AST, ALT and Alk Phos. Those are all slighter higher. ??? I don't know; Dr. Deutsch's office didn't call today so they must not have been too impressed with her labs. She's feeling fine. Let's keep it that way.

Update 2/27, 10 a.m.: Dr. Deutsch DID agree that a lot of her labs were "off" and most likely a lab error, but did not want to commit to an admit w/her liver numbers looking pretty stable. Once he admits her its pretty much at least 48 hours on IV antibiotics while waiting on blood culture results. She's looks fantastic, but she had labs this morning just to make sure they're moving back in the right direction. She's at school (yea!) and I'll update again after we get lab results this afternoon.

We've all had some form of the stomach flu in the past week. Avery was throwing up and, we'll, the rest of us, you can fill in the blank. Everyone except Shelby had caught it....that is, until Wednesday. She woke up saying her tummy hurt and just sat at breakfast. When I felt her forehead I knew there was trouble. I just watched her for a while, then her fever just kept going up. It was just under 103 when I called the Pediatrician and asked if he just wanted labs run (Shelby has standing orders) or the complete work-up at the ER. He voted for the latter. Shelby and I spend about 4-5 hours in the ER Wednesday and it was determined that her labs were stable so she was sent home with orders for the labs to be repeated the next day. This did not sit well with me. Several of her labs were "off." They were actually in the normal range, but a far cry from her "norm." I know that sounds confusing, but there was such a discrepancy that I cannot believe that her doctor did not want to investigate further.

She is feeling better. The fever broke Wednesday evening and her tummy pain disappeared w/no vomiting or diarrhea; in fact, she was hungry all day Wednesday! Yesterday's labs looked horrible (but much more like her "normal" when she is ill) so her GI wants to see her today. Our appointment is in a few hours, so I'll update later today. She is neutropenic
(again) so I don't know when we'll be able to send her back to germ-land, a.k.a. school. Sigh...

No comments: