The surgeon (J.C) just came and talked to us. All went amazingly well. Only 2 units of blood needed, he lengthened her roux, she's closed on the outside (good) and we should be able to see her soon! The liver was pretty big (the donor was about 60 lbs. more than her), but she had room for that liver so they used the whole thing. It will adjust down in size over time. They didn't close her all the way because it can put too much pressure on the veins and arteries and you DO NOT want to cut off blood flow to a "new" liver. Tomorrow she'll have an ultrasound to make sure all the blood flow is still good and at best, Saturday or Sunday be "closed" some more. BUT, this is very touch-and-go still; the next several days will be bumpy, BUT that is pretty *normal* for this type of surgery.
Thank you everyone for your prayers and continued support! I was overwhelmed when I finally got a chance tonight to read the comments on Facebook, this blog, Shelby's COTA blog and on Liver Families. We definitely feel the prayers and strength you are sending her way! I don't know if I'll update more tonight. Maybe after we see her....
Nurse called from OR. Surgeon decided to lengthen her "roux" since it was done almost 10 years ago and she's grown so much since then. Now they are hooking up the bile ducts. Should be about another 1 1/2 hours. She is still doing very well; has only needed 2 units of blood. The nurse said she will come out on the ventilator because of how compromised her breathing was going in. It is still undetermined if they will be able to close her all the way.
THE NEW LIVER IS HOOKED UP AND PRODUCING BILE!!!!! OMG!!! She is continuing to be very stable and has needed very little blood products. They're not sure at this point if they will be able to close her up....we shall see...so pleased :-) Should be another couple hours or so. Happy Mama here!
Recent call from OR....they're sewing in the *new* liver!!! This is amazing! She has NOT required any blood products so far. So thankful!
Nurse called just before 5:30 and said they made the first incision at 5:10. All the lines were placed. Now, what they anticipate to be the toughest part - getting through the scar tissue of her past 2 surgeries (Kasai & distal splenorenal shunt) and getting her "old" liver out. Update again in 2-3 hours.
Scott walked back with her to the OR about 3:20 p.m. Poor thing was crying and just NOT wanting to do this. We are gathering ourselves, moving some things around in her PICU room and will grab a bite to eat. They don't expect to start making any incisions for about 1-1 1/2 hours. Sigh....now a different kind of waiting begins....we were told to expect her to be in surgery 6-12 hours. I have lots of great pics from today it will just take me a bit to get them on here. Pray, pray, pray for my sweet Shelby please.
Surgery is scheduled for 2 p.m. We have been blessed this morning by visits from many of the hospital staff that Shelby SO loves. There has been fun and games, now she's coloring with Grammie.
Yep, its true. Shelby (we) waited for 223 days for this. At 3:10 a.m. Wendy called me on the nurses' phone. She should go into surgery in the afternoon. It will be a whole or reduced-size liver - YES!!!!! Please take time to say a prayer for the family who made the decision to say "YES" as they grieve their loss right now.