Thursday, October 16, 2008

What will today bring?

1:25 p.m.
Waiting. I hate doing that. I'm waiting to hear from Dr. Deutsch. Shelby woke up today with a fever, just wanting to lay around and tummy pain so bad she would cry out when it would hurt. Is it just the Shigella running its course? I don't know. She hasn't eaten, nor had much to drink. She is working on some ice chips right now at least. I'm worried about dehydration from all the poopin' she's been doin'. O.k., so I had to make that sound a little funny; I have to be entertained somehow while I WAIT. She looks more yellow than Sunday, too. I'm waiting...
2:59 p.m.
I waited and heard back from my very most favorite nurse Karin. We're in the ER right now getting labs done and checking for dehydration. She's still just laying there. NOT my energetic 6 1/2-year-old that was driving me nuts yesterday. I'd give anything for her to be driving me nuts right now instead of waiting for a nurse to come and stick a needle in her arm.
5:20 p.m.
We wait. Labs have been drawn, fluids are pumping in her, Disney Channel is on. It is a very noisy, not in a good way, ER tonight. Screaming adults, crying babies - we have the TV cranked to try to drown out the noise. She still has a fever, but is eating ice chips.
6:43 p.m.
We wait...for a room upstairs. She's going to be admitted overnight for hydration and "fine-tuning." Her bili is up even more than Sunday - Mommy's instinct was right! Its at 4 now. Her ANC is normal and her WBC is up - normal, but elevated for her - due to the bacteria. Dr. Deutsch came in and poked around on her belly and said its the darn Shigella, but that getting fluids and IV antibiotics will be good for her.
11:00 p.m.
Finally we are all settled into our room. We have our wonderful nurse, Heather, who said, as Shelby was being discharged "I won't see you because I don't work again until Friday." Ta-da, we're here! The dry-erase board in Shelby's room says "Welcome Back!" More blood had to be drawn for cultures as they did not take enough in the ER and more stool samples collected. Her "bands" (part of her blood cells) are up and that isn't good. They'll draw more blood in the morning and are checking to make sure a secondary infection hasn't popped up. Sigh...she is perkier with the fluids running, though.:)
Last update for tonight...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh. Tummy bugs. Those are always, always the worst for a liver kid.

Hoping she's feeling better and the ice chips will get her through until she works all those buggies out.

Let's hear it for bleach! Just remember to roll your sleeves up. I've ruined many a shirt with my friend, the bleach.

Jenn said...

Thanks for the bleach advice. I went through many, many clorox wipes last night!

Yes, tummy bugs and liver kids. Nothing like yellow eyes & diarrhea.

Coralee said...

Shelby, I miss you and hope you feel better. Shelby, are you watching Disney Channel in the ER?

Love,
Riley

Jenn said...

Dear Ri-Ri,
I miss you and I am watching the Disney channel. I have an IV in case you didn't know.
Love,
Shelby

Coralee said...

An iv!! Are you staying overnight?

Love,
Riley

Coralee said...

Glad Dr. Deutsch checked in. Shelbelle, get some rest. I love you and hope you feel better in the morning. Did you get to see Riley tonight? Avery is fine and will be going to bed soon.

Love,
Grammie

Fred and Carol said...

We love you Shelby.

Uncle Freddie and Auntie Lu

Anonymous said...

Prayers are coming.
Ugh is right.

Need anything? I'll be in town tomorrow? PLEASE let me know.

BTW - the Riley and Shelby exchange above has me in tears.