Friday, April 24, 2009

Calgon, take me away!!!

10:51 p.m.
No call from Chicago. They must still be deciding how to go about this biopsy. I am really o.k. living in the land of denial for a few more days. Seriously. Its an o.k. place for us parents of chronically ill children to let ourselves wander to for a little vacation. She has been a ball of energy today. Her PICC line has some markings that looked like bruising, but now we're not so sure. We are watching it very closely. Her temp has been in the 99-range all day.

Avery's hives have calmed down a bit with regular doses of Benadryl. We observed her tonight in a bit of a Benadryl-induced fog. Poor baby. She did take a long nap today, but was more than happy to sit in the dirt and dig when she woke up.

Riley is still having concerns and worries. We talk and hug and laugh and she moves on...until the next one comes up. I so wish I could promise her that we will be home forever. But I can't. So I won't. I will just be as truthful as is appropriate for her when she asks her questions and voices her concerns. I want to take away her hurt in the worst way.

10:18 a.m.
Avery has broken out in hives. This started yesterday and has continued to get worse. We suspect peanut butter is the culprit. Benadryl
is being given and RAST testing will be done today for several food allergens. I think she's itchy because I just found her standing next to her diaper. I think she took it off because with hives they are usually worse where something rubs against your skin. And, when I chased her down to put a new diaper on, sure enough, they're really bad right in the diaper area. Sigh.
Shelby's temp today is 99.9. We only have to 100.4 before we have to call Chicago. Please, temp, DO NOT move up .5 degrees, o.k.?! Sigh again.

My stomach is in knots today. I did good yesterday not thinking about the biopsy, but now today it is on my mind. Sigh, sigh, sigh.

4 comments:

Karen Phelan said...

Welcome home Shelby. You looked very pretty in your picture--loved you fake pony tail!

Oh dear! Those hives look nasty. Hope Avery is feeling and doing better.

Fred and Carol said...

Hang in there girl.

We love all of you,
Uncle Freddie and Auntie Lu

Anonymous said...

ok so I got my morning laugh at avery posing for pics ala nudie booty, you can tell she is not shy!!! made me itch just looking at the hives, but I just had to giggle at the poses!!
oh riley, I so hear the heartbreak in your voice, it is so hard to watch, I often wish my magic wand worked so I could take all Matt's worries and 'no fairs' away! and he is 23 now!
sending you huge gigantic hugs and enjoy your few minutes in the land of denial, sending you a drink with an umbrella in it!!
patti

Anonymous said...

Jenn, I am sorry life is kind of dumping on you.

Riley, sweet Riley we love you. I pray for you as much as for your sisters.

Shelby, Woohoo with the glammed up medicine session!!! Natalie's had LOTS of Picc lines, but never as a big girl. She used to crawl around, dragging the ball of medicine behind her. I know it stinks, but being home is better.

Avery, little stinker...stop giving mommy heart attacks. I hope you are done being itchy!