Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Not a good alarm clock

Gunshots, that is. Our neighbor across the street and to the east was murdered at 6 a.m. as he came home from work. I counted 8 shots, but the little yellow cones the police put up showed 12 or so. I know the little girl, a 1st grader, and her mother through my job in the after school program. This was the little girl's stepfather. I am just in shock. Just at a time when I really need to feel that our home is a safe haven this happens. I am so sad for the family. They seem to have a lot of support as so many people have been coming and going all day. Food has been brought in. I cannot imagine what they are going through. I fell asleep in the living room last night and so I heard the shots loud and clear. I cannot get that "pop" sound out of my head, nor the sight of him laying on the ground. I feel like I'm about ready to go over the edge.

Riley came home from school yesterday around lunch time with a stomachache. After the shooting this morning we just planned on keeping the shades pulled and the girls home so they didn't see what was going on. They don't need to question the safety of their home right now. They need to feel secure and we'll do everything in our power to keep it that way. Well, when Riley did finally wake up she had a temp of 100 and she complained her gum hurt. She said her gum hurt last night, but I looked at it with a flashlight and it looked fine. Well it didn't look fine this morning. A trip to the dentist resulted in a diagnosis of pericoronitis. She's allergic to amoxicillan so she was prescribed clindamycin. She has not mastered swallowing pills yet, but I got the capsules because we were told by the pharmacist that the liquid is just absolutely horrible. I thought, no problem, I can open the capsule into chocolate pudding and she can eat it up. Riley is flat-out refusing it; she'll swallow the pudding, but not the pill; just about throw up, etc. We feel very well-versed in giving medication to children because of our 7 years of experience of doing it with Shelby. But...this is crazy ridiculous. Our dentist is off until Thursday and there's no way this infection can go untreated until then. I've put a in to the on-call Pediatrician for some help. This is CRAZY.

We heard from Chicago saying that Dr. Superina was called into emergency surgery today. The nurse reassured us that first thing in the morning she'll be on him for an answer.

We're having a rough time here. Please send some positive, calming vibes and prayers our way. Thank you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jenn!! You have SO much on your plate.....I will pray for God to see that well, that plate is just plain ol' out of ROOM and for rest and peace of mind with EVERYTHING to come your way soon! Hang in there, rely on God for all your strength, better days are coming, I know it. Praying for you all. Much love!
Melissa and Donovin

moreena said...

I am so sorry to hear about this. What a lot of stress piled on top of more stress. I'm also sorry you're not hearing back more quickly from Chicago about scheduling. I'm betting (and this is all just my totally out of my ass medical second- guessing that I do all the time) that the problem is that Superina is going to have to decide how in the world to get at this thing and he's going to have to study the films like crazy to make a plan. Thus all these emergency surgeries he's having are making it hard for him to carve out the time he needs to really think over the hard problem Shelby is presenting. Joan and Dr. Alonso have both described Superina as being "very careful." The type of guy who plans and plans before surgeries. So I'm betting that's what is up right now.

Not that any of that makes waiting any easier...

Carolyn Michelle said...

Wow. I have no idea how to respond to this. A murder is NOT what you guys needed...at all. Not that anybody needs one, but uggg...the crazyness!!!!!!! I'm praying for you, like always. I miss you guys. Hang in there, don't loose hope. Get your crocheting out. :)
Lots of love,
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

sorry for all the horrid stuff going on in your house....crazy!!
I will gently say that a jump from amoxicillin to clydamyicin in a huge jump, the only time samantha [ my liver kid] took it, it was awful and stripped her entire GI tract of all good bacterias, not pretty ...... I do not have a clue what other antibiotic will work , I know she is not your liver kid, but be careful of the clydamyicin

sending the whole house hold huge hugs and PRAYING the doc calls tonite!!!!

patti

Amanda said...

Okay I just caught up on all your blog entries... I'm so sorry to hear about your neighbor. That is horrible! Be safe!

As for Riley's difficulty with swallowing pills. I still to this day am pretty bad at it. When I was around her age and had to take pills, I usually lodge it in a straw (that was in a milkshake or something yummy) and sucked really hard and it flew back in my throat and just went down smoothly. Chopping it up or opening the capsule in pudding helps too.

Good luck w/ everything!

*HUGS!*
-Amanda