Saturday, April 25, 2009

A normal? day

9:52 p.m.
I think today was fine. I say I think because it seems so strange. Plus, the day isn't over so I don't want to say anything too final. I'm not superstitious, but I did brag pretty hard how we weren't spending my birthday this year in the hospital only to have Shelby admitted the next day for 9 days. So, I just won't even go there.

Shelby's temp is still running in the just-below-we-have-to-call-Chicago stage. She's feeling just fine, though.

Riley made a trip to the Pediatrician today. Her temp was up again and her throat was hurting. I called at 10 a.m. and they had a 10:45 opening. We made it. A strep test came back fine, so it was deemed viral. She took some tylenol this afternoon and it helped her throat, but she wouldn't take it tonight. She's not a good patient at all. She got very (hysterical) upset about the strep swab and complains A LOT the few times she has to take medication. Sometimes I just want to say "Snap out of it Riley!!! Do you have any clue what your sister goes through???" BUT, she doesn't. AND that is good. Its all relative. To Riley this stuff is a big deal; to any kid this stuff should be a big deal. Kids shouldn't be o.k. with getting IV's and medical tests and PICC lines and anesthesia and....so I take deep breaths and remember that this is normal with a bit (a lot) of stress from a tough week all coming out and hold her hand and tell her its going to be alright. Our Pediatrician was very patient, thank goodness.

While we were waiting for the strep test results, I left Riley in the exam room to rest and walked over to the lab with Avery for her RAST testing. Of course, she fought from the word "Go" but they got a good vein right away and her crying helped the tubes fill very fast with her blood. Instead of a bandaid on after I just held the gauze. She rips bandaids off as fast as you put them on. In about a week, we'll have her food allergy test results.

Please pray for Emerson. If you haven't already, you can link her blog in my side column. She is having a really rough day.

1 comment:

Carolyn Michelle said...

Oh Jenn, your weekend was not restfull at all. you are so strong to be taking all this stress so well. I'm still praying for all of you!!! Does Avery need a hat too? :P I have just cleaned out my yarn stash and it's looking pretty crazy. Any particulat color she'd like?