Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Guess where we are?

Mom, don't freak that I didn't call you. If she's admitted I'll give you a call.

3:30 a.m.
Asleep. In our own bed. Impetigo is the diagnosis as of now. She is being treated for shingles with Acyclovir, though, just in case b/c early treatment helps lessen the pain & severity of the blisters. She has a topical ointment, Bactroban, for the blisters, too. She is to continue w/her pink eye drops. Tomorrow we follow-up w/her Pediatrician & an Opthomologist. Typically, you cannot get shingles unless you've had chickenpox. She has NOT had chickenpox. I asked the doctor if it was unheard of; he said, "No, but not common at all." I said "That's Shelby." Not one to go by the book. He said her cluster of blisters, their location & her eye involvement all leans towards shingles and advised me that if it is that then things will get much worse at least pain-wise. On the little smiley-scale (whatever its called) she ranks things at about a 5 right now. Poor thing. She needs to catch a break. She just wants to go back to school.

2:05 a.m.
The doctor first said impetigo, but then wanted to test her for shingles. He's leaning more toward shingles right now b/c her blisters keep filling then bursting. It's late, so when we get our discharge papers (I hope) I think its b
een mentioned that she'll go home on antibiotic ointment & an antiviral oral medication. The MRSA swab was done, but that takes a few days for those results. You can see one of the blisters in this picture (sorry for the poor quality of the picture, but I'm taking it w/my computer camera), but the shadows on her face cover the other ones. There is one in her nostril that almost completely blocks the opening. She is NOT a happy camper.


12:30 a.m.
So...the eye "thing" is pink eye. She woke up this morning w/her eye not looking horrible, but, by no means better. It progressively got worse as the day went on. She went to the Pediatrician's & was prescribed antibiotic drops. She had a red area under her nose then & the Pediatrician thought it was from her blowing her nose. I said she wasn't. We just left it at that. The day went on and by the time I got home from work the area under her nose had formed about 4 blisters, 2 of which already scabbed over. She went to bed & we talked about how strange it was that she could have pink eye & something like impetigo. Then I googled. MRSA came up too many times. Then she woke up around 10:30 saying one of the scabs was bleeding. I called her GI (thank goodness he was on-call) & he suggested tonight she get swabbed for MRSA. I'm really hoping we walk out of here in a few hours having just taken the precaution of getting it checked, but being reassured that its nothing. We'll see...more later when I have info.

No comments: